Istituto Superior Technico (IST), Portugal
Graduation 1986 (Engineering), PhD. 1991 (Physics), 2006 (Habilitation, Physics Engineering).
Principal Researcher, Coordinator of the Radiological Protection and Safety Group at IST (Instituto Superior Técnico), the leading School of Engineering, Science and Technology in Portugal.
Key qualifications and professional experience:
Main scientific areas of research:
- Expertise in Radiological Protection, Radiation Dosimetry and Radiation Shielding.
- Participation in several international scientific projects and consortia funded by the European Union in the fields of Nuclear Technology and Radiation Protection and in Committees and Working Groups in the framework of European Union, the OECD Nuclear Energy Agency.
- Member and former Vice-Chairperson of the Computational Medical Physics Working Group of the American Nuclear Society.
- Invited Professor in several Portuguese Universities, teaching disciplines in the aforementioned areas at the undergraduate, Master´s and Doctoral levels
- Administrator at the Computer Programs Service of the OECD/Nuclear Energy Agency (1993-2000)
- Fellow at CERN (1991-1993)
- Radiological Protection, Radiation Dosimetry and Radiation Shielding.
- Computational Dosimetry, with emphasis in the medical applications of ionizing radiation.
- Particle and radiation transport simulation using Monte Carlo methods.
- Radiation Shielding design and assessment
- Transmutation of Radioactive Waste
- Neutron Dosimetry
Author and co-author of more than 300 publications in international scientific refereed journals and in Conference Proceedings, in Radiation Protection, Dosimetry, Shielding, Experimental and Particle Physics, Radiation Physics.